1 Samuel 1: 1-7, 9-10, 13-16
Now there was a certain man from Ramathaim-zophim from the hill country of Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephraimite. He had two wives: the name of one was Hannah and the name of the other Peninnah; and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children. Now this man would go up from his city yearly to worship and to sacrifice to the Lord of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were priests to the Lord there. When the day came that Elkanah sacrificed, he would give portions to Peninnah his wife and to all her sons and her daughters; but to Hannah he would give a double portion, for he loved Hannah, but the Lord had closed her womb. Her rival, however, would provoke her bitterly to irritate her, because the Lord had closed her womb. It happened year after year, as often as she went up to the house of the Lord, she would provoke her; so she wept and would not eat.
Then Hannah rose after eating and drinking in Shiloh. Now Eli the priest was sitting on the seat by the doorpost of the temple of the Lord. She, greatly distressed, prayed to the Lord. and wept bitterly. She made a vow and said, “O Lord. of hosts, if You will indeed look on the affliction of Your maidservant and remember me, and not forget Your maidservant, but will give Your maidservant a son, then I will give him to the Lord. all the days of his life, and a razor shall never come on his head.”
As for Hannah, she was speaking in her heart, only her lips were moving, but her voice was not heard. So Eli thought she was drunk. Then Eli said to her, “How long will you make yourself drunk? Put away your wine from you.” But Hannah replied, “No, my lord, I am a woman oppressed in spirit; I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have poured out my soul before the Lord. Do not consider your maidservant as a worthless woman, for I have spoken until now out of my great concern and provocation.
Woman of Grace
Hannah- “graciousness” or “favor”
Hannah was married to a man that loved her very much. He also was married to another woman named Peninnah. To have two wives was common, but not blessed by God. Peninnah bore her husband children while Hannah was barren. In a culture where women were defined by their roles as mother and caretaker, this was devastating to Hannah. She not only had no children, but the other wife was very fertile and very mean. 1 Samuel tells us that Peninnah was a rival and reminded Hannah of her barrenness often. Peninnah had the option of being compassionate but she chose to rub Hannah’s pain in her face. I have to wonder how many years she had to tolerate this kind of belittling and yet she did tolerate it. The Bible does not mention that she became angry or bitter or revengeful, but she did weep and fast. She wept to the Lord. This happened year after year. Elkanah tried to comfort his wife. He gave her double portions of the sacrifice while the other wife received the normal amount. He loved her despite her bareness. This is worth noting. Remember that children were a blessing and an asset. To have two wives provide children was a very good thing. He may have married Peninnah because Hannah was barren, but the scriptures are clear that he loved her unconditionally. He loved her, respected her, and trusted her. When God did grant the son she appealed for, Elkanah trusted her to do what she desired with him for the Lord.
If only Peninnah would have put herself in Hannah’s shoes for a little bit she may have been able to muster up some sympathy. Although I have to wonder that the reason she became her rival is she knew that Hannah was loved despite her barrenness. Jealousy is not pretty. What was it like to live together under the same roof? It could not have been pleasant. I love Hannah’s reaction. She didn’t get revenge, but she wept to God. He was her only comfort. He only could change the impossible. What I find amazing is Hannah’s request to the Lord. Read her prayer again above. She tells the Lord that if he grants her a child, a child that he has longed for many years, she will return him back to the Lord for His service. This could not have been an easy request or one that she made from the start. I believe that year after year as she was crying and praying out to God that something extraordinary was happening in her heart and soul. I believe the Holy Spirit was transforming her heart to God’s desires and will. Prayer was drawing her intimately to God. Do you think when she first started praying for children that she would ever have thought that she would give them up to God happily? This is the power of the Holy Spirit working in us when we submit to God. How many things have I desired that I would be so willing to give back? Yet I have experienced the power of prayer and the way it has changed my heart and even what I desire. I’m afraid to say it’s like magic, but there is something magical and mystical about the working of God. Words just cannot always explain it.
God did eventually grant Hannah her prayer and she named that miracle Samuel. I hope that despite our busy schedule, we are praying. I hope we are praying constantly. It’s so easy to just talk speak to God anywhere. We can pray in the car, silently at work, openly with friends, and many times in between. We are drawn intimately to Him each time. It’s a gift God has designed for only us. We are the only part of creation that enjoys this communion with Him. If you have time, please read Hannah’s prayer of joy after Samuel was born. Here is a part of it:
“My heart exults in the Lord;
My horn is exalted in the Lord,
My mouth speaks boldly against my enemies,
Because I rejoice in Your salvation.
“There is no one holy like the Lord,
Indeed, there is no one besides You,
Nor is there any rock like our God.
“Boast no more so very proudly,
Do not let arrogance come out of your mouth;
For the Lord is a God of knowledge,
And with Him actions are weighed.
1 Samuel 2:1-3
Now there was a certain man from Ramathaim-zophim from the hill country of Ephraim, and his name was Elkanah the son of Jeroham, the son of Elihu, the son of Tohu, the son of Zuph, an Ephraimite. He had two wives: the name of one was Hannah and the name of the other Peninnah; and Peninnah had children, but Hannah had no children. Now this man would go up from his city yearly to worship and to sacrifice to the Lord of hosts in Shiloh. And the two sons of Eli, Hophni and Phinehas, were priests to the Lord there. When the day came that Elkanah sacrificed, he would give portions to Peninnah his wife and to all her sons and her daughters; but to Hannah he would give a double portion, for he loved Hannah, but the Lord had closed her womb. Her rival, however, would provoke her bitterly to irritate her, because the Lord had closed her womb. It happened year after year, as often as she went up to the house of the Lord, she would provoke her; so she wept and would not eat.
Then Hannah rose after eating and drinking in Shiloh. Now Eli the priest was sitting on the seat by the doorpost of the temple of the Lord. She, greatly distressed, prayed to the Lord. and wept bitterly. She made a vow and said, “O Lord. of hosts, if You will indeed look on the affliction of Your maidservant and remember me, and not forget Your maidservant, but will give Your maidservant a son, then I will give him to the Lord. all the days of his life, and a razor shall never come on his head.”
As for Hannah, she was speaking in her heart, only her lips were moving, but her voice was not heard. So Eli thought she was drunk. Then Eli said to her, “How long will you make yourself drunk? Put away your wine from you.” But Hannah replied, “No, my lord, I am a woman oppressed in spirit; I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have poured out my soul before the Lord. Do not consider your maidservant as a worthless woman, for I have spoken until now out of my great concern and provocation.
Woman of Grace
Hannah- “graciousness” or “favor”
Hannah was married to a man that loved her very much. He also was married to another woman named Peninnah. To have two wives was common, but not blessed by God. Peninnah bore her husband children while Hannah was barren. In a culture where women were defined by their roles as mother and caretaker, this was devastating to Hannah. She not only had no children, but the other wife was very fertile and very mean. 1 Samuel tells us that Peninnah was a rival and reminded Hannah of her barrenness often. Peninnah had the option of being compassionate but she chose to rub Hannah’s pain in her face. I have to wonder how many years she had to tolerate this kind of belittling and yet she did tolerate it. The Bible does not mention that she became angry or bitter or revengeful, but she did weep and fast. She wept to the Lord. This happened year after year. Elkanah tried to comfort his wife. He gave her double portions of the sacrifice while the other wife received the normal amount. He loved her despite her bareness. This is worth noting. Remember that children were a blessing and an asset. To have two wives provide children was a very good thing. He may have married Peninnah because Hannah was barren, but the scriptures are clear that he loved her unconditionally. He loved her, respected her, and trusted her. When God did grant the son she appealed for, Elkanah trusted her to do what she desired with him for the Lord.
If only Peninnah would have put herself in Hannah’s shoes for a little bit she may have been able to muster up some sympathy. Although I have to wonder that the reason she became her rival is she knew that Hannah was loved despite her barrenness. Jealousy is not pretty. What was it like to live together under the same roof? It could not have been pleasant. I love Hannah’s reaction. She didn’t get revenge, but she wept to God. He was her only comfort. He only could change the impossible. What I find amazing is Hannah’s request to the Lord. Read her prayer again above. She tells the Lord that if he grants her a child, a child that he has longed for many years, she will return him back to the Lord for His service. This could not have been an easy request or one that she made from the start. I believe that year after year as she was crying and praying out to God that something extraordinary was happening in her heart and soul. I believe the Holy Spirit was transforming her heart to God’s desires and will. Prayer was drawing her intimately to God. Do you think when she first started praying for children that she would ever have thought that she would give them up to God happily? This is the power of the Holy Spirit working in us when we submit to God. How many things have I desired that I would be so willing to give back? Yet I have experienced the power of prayer and the way it has changed my heart and even what I desire. I’m afraid to say it’s like magic, but there is something magical and mystical about the working of God. Words just cannot always explain it.
God did eventually grant Hannah her prayer and she named that miracle Samuel. I hope that despite our busy schedule, we are praying. I hope we are praying constantly. It’s so easy to just talk speak to God anywhere. We can pray in the car, silently at work, openly with friends, and many times in between. We are drawn intimately to Him each time. It’s a gift God has designed for only us. We are the only part of creation that enjoys this communion with Him. If you have time, please read Hannah’s prayer of joy after Samuel was born. Here is a part of it:
“My heart exults in the Lord;
My horn is exalted in the Lord,
My mouth speaks boldly against my enemies,
Because I rejoice in Your salvation.
“There is no one holy like the Lord,
Indeed, there is no one besides You,
Nor is there any rock like our God.
“Boast no more so very proudly,
Do not let arrogance come out of your mouth;
For the Lord is a God of knowledge,
And with Him actions are weighed.
1 Samuel 2:1-3
hey.. thats a nice msg ! God Bless u !
ReplyDeleteBhawna Dutta